Sorry I have been MIA for a while… Things have been a little stressful for me lately, but more talk about that another time. I have another recipe for you today! I fell in love with this recipe when I found it and first altered it slightly to suit my organic foodie needs, but now that I have gone gluten free and dairy free, I changed it up even more and wanted to share it with you all. This makes a great snack and breakfast muffin, it’s not too sweet and perfectly moist with a little crunch. The perfect combo if you ask me!
- 1/3 cup organic coconut milk
- 1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (can also sub applesauce or use a combo of both)
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup organic coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten free all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup organic ground flaxseed meal
- 1 cup Gluten free rolled oats (organic if you can find it)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon*
- 1 cup organic apple peeled and diced (about 1 apple)
- 1/4 cup Gluten free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp organic brown sugar**
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
*If you cannot tolerate cinnamon at all for histamine intolerance reasons, ground cardamom would be a good substitution.
**I prefer the brown sugar for the topping since the coconut sugar didn’t seem to melt on top as much for me, but you can do either or mix the two.
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. First you want to add the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar together to sour it. This is a replacement for buttermilk! Stir together and let sit about 5 minutes.
2. Whisk together egg, prepared coconut milk mixture, melted coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt, and coconut sugar.
Store in an airtight container after cooling.