This weekend I had some family stay over after lil’ man’s party. I thought it would be a great time to make a breakfast casserole. It’s quick and easy, and the mixture can be prepared the night before. It came out delicious! Hope you think so too.
I wasn’t sure which dish was originally better to cook it in, a 2 qt or a 9″x13″. I chose the 2 qt and had issues with the casserole baking in the middle. Turns out the dish I chose was a little small (fail)… So I would advise you use a 9″x13″ baking dish.
- 1 lb organic italian sausage (I got mine from Whole Foods)
- 1 large organic sweet potato, peeled and diced
- organic coconut oil or organic olive oil
- 1 small organic onion, diced
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch organic kale (about 3 leaves) – stems removed and leaves chopped
- 1/2 bunch organic collard greens (about 3 leaves) – stems removed and leaves chopped
- 12 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup organic unsweetened coconut milk (full fat or light will do)
- organic black pepper
- sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly grease a 9″x13″ baking dish.
2. Add some coconut oil or olive oil to a medium pan and sauté the diced sweet potatoes, on medium high heat, with some salt and pepper until they are mostly cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside in a medium bowl.
3. Add sausage to pan and break up into small crumbles while cooking. Cook until brown with no pink remaining. Remove sausage from pan and add to the bowl with the cooked sweet potatoes while keeping the sausage grease in the pan.
4. Add onions and garlic to grease and cook until starting to become tender. Then add kale and collard greens. Add salt and pepper to taste and cook until tender. Remove from heat and add to the bowl of cooked sweet potatoes and sausage and combine the mixture together.
5. If preparing this the night before, store this mixture in the fridge and finish the remaining steps when ready to cook the casserole.
6. In a separate bowl combine eggs and coconut milk and whisk well.