Sometimes I have to “sneak” vegetables into my kiddo’s food in order to get more into his diet. I say it with quotes because he can sometimes see them still, which is good, and can’t quite pick them out. It’s important for kids to get in the right balance of healthy foods, and sometimes it can be tough to get little ones to eat some of these awesome vegetables. So if he asks me what he is eating, I will tell him truthfully so that he can learn that vegetables are included and do in fact taste yummy!
This is one of my go-to quick dinners that is packed full of nutrients and flavor! Did I mention they taste so good!
- 1 -2 tsp organic olive oil
- 1 organic chicken breast, chopped into small pieces (omit for vegetarian option)
- slice of organic onion, diced
- 1/4 of an organic red bell pepper, diced
- 1 leaf of organic collard greens
- 1 leaf of organic kale
- 1 clove organic garlic, diced
- organic black pepper to taste
- sea salt to taste
- organic garlic powder (optional)
- organic shredded mozzarella cheese (omit with chicken for vegan option)
- a gluten free tortilla (I use these)
5. Once chicken is mostly cooked, combine the veggies together with the chicken and add diced garlic. Lower heat a little less than medium. Cook until chicken is completely cooked and remove from pan into a small bowl.
Mmmm… I could just eat from this bowl…
6. Place tortilla in pan and swirl around to coat with any oil in the pan. If using cheese, place on one half of tortilla. Place chicken and veggie mixture on top of cheese and add a little more cheese on top if desired.
7. Cook open faced until the bottom half starts to brown a little. Once lightly browned, fold the tortilla closed. (I use this method to be sure the middle folded portion of the quesadilla gets a little crispy and and doesn’t stay soft)
8. Cook a few more minutes and then flip so the other half of the quesadilla can brown and crisp. Once quesadilla is browned to your likeness, remove from pan. (I like to place it on a paper towel to absorb moisture and remain crispy while it cools)