On some saturday mornings we like to go to breakfast at this awesome restaurant that uses local fresh foods. My son calls it the waffle place… we always get their awesome multigrain waffles. Well the last time we went, the waffle maker was broken… a true tragedy! We ordered something else, but I could tell my little one was missing his waffle 😦 Later that night I asked him what he wanted for dinner…. “Waffles!”…. clearly he was REALLY missing out on those waffles. I didn’t have a waffle recipe, but I had my pancake recipe and I thought maybe I could make a few alterations and come up with a waffle recipe. I did a smidgen of research and discovered the waffle batter needed a little more sugar for sweetness and some vanilla.
- 3/4 cup +2 tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup organic quinoa flakes
- 2 tbsp organic golden ground flaxseed
- 2 1/2 tbsp organic brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp aluminum free, gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil, melted
- 1 organic egg
- 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
- 1/2 tsp organic vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips (I use these) – optional
3. Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and whisk gently until combined. At first the batter will seem runny, let it sit a few minutes while you warm your waffle maker. Don’t forget use some organic non stick spray on your waffle maker. If using the chocolate chips, sprinkle them on just after pouring the batter in the waffle maker, before cooking.
These waffles are perfect! They have a subtle sweetness and crisp up nicely… mmm sooo good! My two guys approved and now it’s a new request in the house 🙂